It’s that wonderful time of year again as the seasons shift, the temperatures are warming and the spring breezes and rainfall are upon us. Growth is abundant and appears to be happening everywhere in the plant world, with buds popping through and pollens flying. The seasonal changes can bring mixed blessings to those of who suffer with seasonal allergies (sneezing, itchy eyes, runny nose, etc.), from trees, grasses, molds, and weeds. While there are many different ways to address allergies and their symptoms, our discussion today focuses on some simple, safe & effective approaches from a natural health care perspective that you may want to consider this allergy season.
While seasonal & inhalant allergies can be complex, we are going to look at a few simple options to consider in helping to reduce and possibly eliminate signs and symptoms of seasonal allergies. According to natural health care approaches, utilizing a simple approach of minimizing potential “allergenic loads” on our systems can help reduce or eliminate certain allergy problems. In other words, if we might be sensitive to 3 different substances (pollens, foods, dust), the attempt is to minimize our exposure to these as much as possible.
- Try to reduce indoor inhalant exposure (dust, molds, pets, etc.) with regular cleaning and using HEPA air filtration units (available in stores or online) in individual rooms and/or whole house air filters for your furnace.
- Try “nasal washes/rinses” every day during allergy season using salt water or saline. This is a simple and practical way to help clear sinus and nasal passages clear.
- Focus on awareness and elimination of foods that might cause allergy symptoms – Some foods or food groups in some people can cause symptoms similar to inhalant or airborne allergies. Identifying and eliminating certain reactive or trigger foods or beverages can lessen systemic inflammation and also help to lessen allergenic loads on our systems, especially during a time when seasonal pollens are present. (NOTE: There are simple, cost –effective tests to determine if a person is reacting to a wide variety of foods. Please contact our office to inquire about Food Sensitivity Tests available at Lotus Healing Arts).
- Natural treatment options to consider. Acupuncture treatments can help some people to reduce symptoms of inhalant allergies. Specific Nutrients & Herbs can also be very helpful for many and while not every treatment or remedy works well for everybody, here are a few important ones to consider, alone or in combination. I have used these remedies on a personal and professional basis for many years and have seen many positive experiences using these formulas. (Please refer to our previous newsletter, Natural Remedies for Sinus Conditions, for related herbal products)
General: Vitamin C, MSM, probiotics, proteolytic enzymes, stinging nettles, butterbur extracts
More specific: Here are 6 of my favorite nutritional and herbal remedies for symptomatic relief of seasonal allergies. All of these remedies have anti-histamine qualities, are free of side effects and are non-sedating and non-stimulating, so they can be taken any time of the day.
NOTE: All of the formulas listed below are manufactured by GMP companies, which represent the highest quality ingredients and labeling practices. These remedies are available at a discounted price through Lotus Healing Arts. (NOTE: We ship all of our natural remedies and products from our on-site inventory of high quality, low priced nutritional supplements and herbal remedies)
- Yi Min – A modern Chinese herbal formula derived from the highest quality herbs from a Taiwan & California based company (Sun Ten). This concentrated formula can safely address a wide range of allergy – related symptoms and is gentle and safe enough to take on a daily basis during allergy season. Suggested Dosage: 1-3 tablets, 2-3 times per day. Regular Price (90 tablets) – $27. Discounted price- $23.40
- Histoplex AB – A modern combination of high quality Chinese and Western herbs that can safely reduce airborne seasonal allergy symptoms. (Made by Biotics Research.) Suggested Dosage: 2 capsules, 2-3 times per day. (90 capsules) Regular Price- $34.50 Discounted Price- $31
- ReBoost Nasal Spray – This is a gentle and effective natural, homeopathic remedy to help clear sinus passages and reduce sinus irritation from inhalants. Suggested Dosage: 1-2 sprays in each nostril, 1-3 times per day. Regular Price- $11.99 Discounted price- $10.50
- Quercitin (w/bromelain) – This is a naturally occurring set of nutrients that is found in certain foods like apples, onions, pineapples, and green tea. They have a wide range of therapeutic values, including acting as a natural anti-histamine. Safe and appropriate to take on its own or in combination with herbal formulas to help address seasonal allergy symptoms. Suggested Dosage: (400mg) – 2 capsules, 2-3 times per day. Regular Price- $27.99 Discounted Price-$23.50 (120 capsules)
- EMIQ – This is a concentrated, effective, naturally occurring remedy of flavonoids to help reduce airborne allergy symptoms. Suggested Dosage: ( 333 mg) – 1 capsule, 2-3 times per day. Discounted price- $28 (30 capsules).
- Magnoliae Clear Sinus – A high quality Chinese herbal formula for sinus health and to act as an herbal “decongestant.” A safe and effective remedy without side effects. Suggested Dosage: 3-4 capsules, 2-3 times per day. (100 capsules) Discounted Price; $24.
(Please refer to our previous newsletter, Natural Remedies for Sinus Conditions, for related herbal products)