Important Natural Remedies for Healthy Joints, Muscles, and Tendons
I recently returned from a short, but very satisfying skiing trip with an old friend and colleague in the beautiful, snow-capped mountains of Colorado. It had been 3 years since I had last gone downhill skiing and I was hoping that my body would hold out and that we would return home in one piece, without crutches, casts, or slings. ☺ After 3 days of wonderful skiing amidst the awesome beauty of the San Juan mountain range, my friend (who is older than me) and I were most pleasantly surprised to find that our aging bodies and knees were hardly sore at all after skiing- Not at all what we expected. So, what was the SECRET to our rapid recovery from newer and more intense physical activity?
The “secret” to short and long-term recovery of our joints, muscles, and tendons from such concentrated exercise and physical activity was related to our soaking in natural, mineral hot springs every day as part of our skiing experience. These particular springs ranged from warm to hot and were abundant with minerals, with the highest concentration being SULFUR. Sulfur is a naturally occurring trace mineral that is very important for maintaining and rebuilding healthy hair, skin, cartilage, and connective tissue (muscles, fascia, tendons). Sulfur is naturally present in certain foods such as: fruits, vegetables, meat, and seafood. It is also readily available in higher, therapeutic concentrations in a simple nutrient formula called MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane).
MSM is a well absorbed form of sulfur that can be an important and cost-effective nutrient used by itself and/or in combination with other joint and muscle nutrients like magnesium, calcium, Omega 3 fatty acids, glucosamine, enzymes, and various herbal formulas. Our joints, muscles, cartilage, and tendons are in relative continuous repair and rebuilding, especially if we are physically active. The experiences of many of the world’s traditional healing systems and modern research along my own clinical experience has taught me that with most people this process can be supported and enhanced by taking high quality nutritional and herbal supplements.
Benefits of Using Natural Joint & Muscle Nutrients & Herbs:
- Help in reducing joint, muscle, and tendon inflammation & pain
- Provide important nutrients to help in rebuilding joint cartilage
- Supports healthy aging of joints and cartilage throughout the body
- Increase joint mobility & flexibility
- Allows for quicker recovery and healing from exercise, daily activities, muscle, tendon, and joint injuries, post-surgical recovery
There are many ways to support our joints and muscles to keep them healthy and vibrant as we age including: resistance training (weights, etc.), flexibility (yoga, Pilates, etc.), various types of natural based manual therapies ** (chiropractic, massage, myofascial therapies/ART, etc.). Of course, a healthy anti-inflammatory diet along with proper hydration and specific nutritional and herbal supplements can be very supportive in these areas as well.
While there are a wide range of natural products and formulas to choose from in these regards ( and we carry many more products and formulas in our natural pharmacy), here are a list of my favorite high quality “Top 6” natural nutrients and herbs that I take myself and consider to be safe and effective joint & muscle tonics.
TOP 6 Natural Joint & Muscle Tonics
- MSM – An organic, sulfur-based nutrient designed to support healthy connective tissue, cartilage, muscles, and tendons. Dosage: 1,000mg. – 2-6 capsules per day, in divided doses taken with food. Normal Low Price = $20 (180 capsules).
- Joint Revitalizer Formula – A concentrated natural source of bioavailable Type II collagen with other supportive ingredients designed to support cartilage growth & repair, healthy connective tissue, and skin. Dosage: 1,000mg Bio Cell Collagen – Take 2-4 capsules, in divided doses, with food. Normal Low Price= $40 (120 capsules).
- Joint Xtra Formula – A combination of: Glucosamine Sulfate, Undenatured Type II cartilage, and concentrated Omega 3 fish oils. This formula is designed to support and promote healthy joint cartilage, mobility, and reduced inflammation. Dosage: 3 softgels taken daily with food. Normal Low Price = $43 (90 Softgels).
- EFAC – A concentrated combination of nutritional oils designed to support healthy joint function and help to reduce joint and soft tissue inflammation. Available in capsules for long-term benefit and topical cream for quick pain relief and reduced inflammation. Dosage: Topical cream – Apply to affected areas as needed, 2-3 times per day. Capsules: Take 4 capsules daily with food. Normal Low Price- Topical Cream – $21 ( 4 oz jar), Capsules = $30 (90 capsules).
- Turmeric 500- A high quality & potency single herbal extract of turmeric in a patented formula (Meriva) to ensure optimal absorption and utilization. A multi-purpose herbal phyonutrient designed to support general health and reduced joint and general inflammation. Dosage: 500 mg. – Take 1-3 capsules per day, in divided doses with food. Normal Low Price= $38 (100 capsules).
- Hyaluronic Acid – Found naturally in the body in the skin and lubricating fluid of the joints. Helps to promote and support healthy joint fluids and flexibility as well as skin hydration. Dosage: 100 mg. – Take 2 capsules per day with food. Normal Low Price = $29 (60 capsules).
Many or most of the remedies discussed here can be safely taken for short-term relief and recovery and also for long-term prevention and healthy aging of joints. The highlighted products and related natural remedies can be taken alone or in combination, depending on individual needs. Dr Ensweiler is available for a complementary 10-15 minute consultation to help you determine if you might benefit from or have further questions about “Joint & Muscle Tonics.”
All of the above mentioned nutrients and formulas are available, along with a wide range of high quality, low-priced nutritional, herbal supplements and natural remedies at Lotus Healing Arts.
February 2, 2019 @ 6:57 pm
I had 2 broken fingers on my left hand 2 years ago. After much therapy, I still do not have a functional hand. I’m thinking this sulfur could help me with this issue. All the docs want to do is surgery, which is what I’m trying to avoid! 🙁
Where can I find/up this sulfur. I have also been to a chiropractor which was quite painful. I was originally told that it was scar tissue, then tight tendons. Now tight ligaments.
The posted info is very informative. Thanks!