Natural Medicine & Wellness Options for Maintaining a Strong Immune System and Overall Health in Modern Times with Foods, Nutrients and, Herbs
In these modern times when our physical, mental health and overall well-being are being challenged and even potentially threatened in new and unusual ways, there can be simple, practical, and safe protocols to add to or include into a healthy lifestyle in modern times to help. Our brief discussion here focuses on: Basic Foods, Nutritional & Herbal Supplements to support and promote immune and overall health.
In many of the world’s traditional and herbal healing systems the concept of keeping our “defensive energies”, which loosely translates as our immune system, strong and vital is emphasized. Our immune systems are working to protect us on a full-time basis. Strengthening our immune system functions can be worked with and enhanced with certain healthy foods, nutrients, and immune tonics/adaptogens (along with healthy sleep, exercise, and creative stress management). Alone, and especially in combinations, they can contribute to strengthen our immune system and to prevent illness of various types. I want to be clear that these protocols would not kill the Covid-19 virus directly, for example. However, these suggestions will help to mobilize your body’s defenses and help to restore balance and vitality when exposed to a variety to germs and microbes in the outer environment. I have used these recommendations on a personal and professional basis for many years with good success and overall safety.
Important Foods – The Basics:
- A wide range of real foods to include: colorful fruits like cherries, pomegranates, berries (blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, vegetables, (organic, if possible) mushrooms (especially Shitake for cooking), onions, nuts (Brazil, walnuts, almonds, pistachios, macadamias), fermented foods like yogurt (dairy or dairy-free), sauerkraut, pickled veggies, healthy protein sources, a wide range of spices: garlic, oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary, etc.. Green, black, and various herbal teas, and lots of clean water.
- Some foods to avoid or minimize: Highly processed, deep fried foods, sugar in excess, artificial sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup, excessive preservatives, partially hydrogenated oils.
Important Nutrients & Nutritional Supplements – The Basics:
- Vitamins A,B-Complex, C, D*, minerals selenium, zinc, magnesium, iodine, iron (iron-free multiple vitamin/mineral formulas are available for individuals who do not need to supplement with additional iron. (If in doubt, we offer blood tests through our office that can reveal iron levels as well as a wide complete range of physiological vitamins, minerals, fatty acids). These can usually be provided by a high quality, multiple vitamin/mineral formula.
*NOTE: While Vitamin D is relatively safe, it is highly recommended to have an individual blood test to be able choose an effective personalized dosage most accurately for this very important nutrient. (We offer Vitamin D testing at Lotus Healing Arts or you can be tested by your medical practitioner).
- Omega 3 fatty acids/oils (fish, flax, hemp oils)
- Probiotic Formulas (Digestive & Oral)
- Quercitin based nutrients
Important Herbal Immune Tonics – The Basics:
- Tonics are a class of foods, nutrients and herbs that are traditionally and in modern times used in prevention and therapeutically to strengthen a particular body system or function. There are a wide range of herbs and herbal formulas from traditional cultures and modern research that are designed to strengthen our immune system to stay healthy and defend against various modern illnesses.
- The overall advantages of taking high quality herbal “immune tonics”:
- They can help to support and stimulate our immune systems for general health and to prevent and/or shorten the duration of various seasonal illnesses (respiratory, sinus, allergy related).
- They can be helpful & supportive to improve overall health for people dealing with various chronic health related conditions that may affect their immune systems.
- They can be especially beneficial if a person is tired, overly stressed, or weakened from other health related issues and/or who have been exposed to other sick individuals.
- They are generally considered to be safe in the short and long-term when used as directed. (NOTE: There are exceptions where certain herbs are not utilized in combination with certain prescription medications or with certain medical conditions).
Popular Herbal Immune Tonics:
- Astragalus, Echinacea, Elderberry, Garlic, Oregano, Andrographis, Olive Leaf, Arabinogalactin, Various Mushrooms (Shitake, Maitake, Reishi, Coriolus, Cordyceps).
- NOTE: Herbs can be effective by themselves or can be used in combination with other herbs or nutrients for maximum effectiveness.
Basic Nutrient & Herbal Immune Tonic Formulas Available through Lotus Healing Arts:
We are highlighting a few of my favorite nutrient and herbal based immune strengthening formulas for overall health and well-being. At Lotus Healing Arts, our natural pharmacy carries a wide variety of the highest quality nutrient and herbal formulas at reasonable and discounted prices. (NOTE: Specific recommended dosages can vary according to each individual patient’s history, past and current health status. These are general guidelines and adult dosages listed below for general health and a strong immune system. These formulas can be taken alone or in various combinations, depending upon each person’s age, health history, past and current health status. Consulting with Dr. Ensweiler can help to clarify and allow for more specific personal recommendations).
- Essential Multi (with or without Iron): High quality, multivitamin/mineral formula with antioxidants for general and immune health. Dosage: 3 capsules/day.
- PhytoMulti (with or without iron): High quality, multivitamin/mineral formula with antioxidants for general and immune health. Dosage: 2 tablets, 1 time per day.
- C,1000: High quality Vitamin C with bioflavonoids for general and immune health. Dosage: 1-3 capsules, per day in divided doses.
- ENT Biotic: High quality oral probiotic for general and enhanced immune health. Dosage: Dissolve 1 lozenge, 1 time/day.
- Thersynbiotic: High quality probiotic formula for general, digestive health and enhanced immune health. Dosage: Take 1 capsule, 1 time/day.
- OrthoBiotic: High quality probiotic formula for general, digestive health and enhanced immune health. Dosage: Take 1 capsule, 1 time/day.
- Bio Immunozyme Forte: High quality vitamin, mineral, herbal, and glandular extracts for general and enhanced immune health. Dosage: 3 capsules, 1-2 times/day.
- Astra Max Formula: High quality liquid herbal tincture for general and enhanced immune health. Dosage: Take 30 drops in a little water, juice, or tea, 1-2 times/day.
- Astragalus Root Capsules: High quality herbal extract for general and enhanced immune health. 500mg- Dosage: Take 3 capsules, 1 time per day.
- Astragulas Root Granules/Powder: High quality, powdered herbal extract for general and enhanced immune health. Dosage: Take 1 teaspoon in hot water, tea, or juice, once daily.
- Sambucus/Black Elderberry: High quality liquid or chewable tablets for general and enhanced immune health. Dosage: 1 teaspoon or 3 tablets, 1-2 times/day.
- Mycel Immune Plus Formula: High quality astragalus and mushroom extracts for general and enhanced immune health. Dosage: Take 3 capsules, 1 time/day.
- Myoceutical Total Body Support: High quality mushroom extracts for general and enhanced immune health. Dosage: Take 4 capsules, 1 time/day.
- Reishi Forte Formula: High quality mushroom extracts (Reishi, Shitake) for general and enhanced immune health. Dosage: Take 3 capsules, 1 time/day.
- Echinacea Premium: High quality herbal extracts for general and enhanced immune health. Dosage: Take 1-2 tablets, 1-2 times/day.
- ImuStim 1: High quality liquid herbal tincture for general and enhanced immune health. Dosage: Take 30 drops in a little water, juice or tea, 1-2 times/day.
- IAG (Arabinogalactans): High quality herbal powder for general and enhanced immune health. Dosage: Take 1 teaspoon in a little water or juice, 1 time/day.
- Transfer Factor Multi Immune Formula: High quality herbal & nutrient extracts for general and enhanced immune health. Dosage: Take 2 capsules, 2 times/day.
- Gan Mao Ling Formula: High quality Chinese herbal formula for general health and enhanced immune function. Dosage: Take 2-4 tablets, 1 time/day.